We are back again with another great breakfast! I get it. Morning’s are crazy busy and if you’re like me, you need tools in your arsenal that can help make things just a little easier. Because school mornings are straight up cray.
What I love most about these waffles is, if you put in the work ahead of time, say, on a Sunday afternoon, then your KIDS CAN MAKE THEIR OWN BREAKFAST.
Let’s see, healthy quick breakfast and kids learn independence and self-sufficiency? Sign me up.
I really try to fill my kids up with protein, fat, and fiber to set them up for a good day. But if your kids are like mine and everyone has different taste preferences, it can be hard to hit that. I really tried to get a good mixed with these waffles.
I used oat flour, and before you add that to your grocery list, lemme help you out: measure about 2 cups of oats, dump in your food processor and blitz. Voila! Oat flour. I mean, you can buy it, but…Why?
This recipe makes quite a few, because I like to flash freeze them and then store them in ziploc bags in the freezer. Then the kids just pull one out, pop it in the toaster and cover it with peanut butter. But you can certainly cut this in half if you don’t want to do that.
- 2 cups oat flour
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato (about 1 large sweet potato, see tip)
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 Tbsp butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
(Tip: scrub a sweet potato and stab it a couple times with a knife. Microwave on high for 5-7 minutes (depending on size) until soft and tender. Remove skin and mash with a fork.)
- Preheat waffles iron
- In a large bowl, whisk together oat flour, almond flour, baking powder, salt, coconut sugar, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, mix together, sweet potato, eggs, almond milk, vanilla, and butter.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir to combine. The batter will be slightly thick, but it will get thicker the longer it sits. (Oats absorb liquid.)
- Pour into hot waffle iron and cook until done.
- Enjoy immediately, or flash freeze between sheets of parchment and store in bag for later.
gluten free waffles